We have received several requests for healthy homemade protein treats in for a while, so we thought we would share what one of our writers make. These are great for post-workout or to refuel mid-day before you grab your next meal. They are also delicious, kudos Brianna for the recipe.
Now keep in mind store bought protein bars are typically filled with GMO soy, high-fructose corn syrup, colouring/additives, and a whole lot of other ingredients you don’t want to be putting into your body. Plus, most are high in sugar while being disguised as a nutritional product. And that’s just what’s in them. Not to mention the so called healthier ones taste like chalk.
These homemade protein squares taste way better than pre-packaged protein bars. They taste more like a candy bar and are made from ingredients that will fuel your body in a good way! In summary they are delicious and healthy for you.
Coconut Protein Squares
Ingredients for Base
- 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil, liquefied
- ¼ cup almond/coconut milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- Stevia (add to taste or you can omit if you don’t want it too sweet)
Ingredients for Topping
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Chopped nuts (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine all base ingredients, adding almond milk last. Slowly incorporate almond milk into mixture until you reach the desired texture (it should be easy to press into a pan)
- Pour mixture into a square pan that is lined with parchment paper
- In a small bowl, combine all topping ingredients and melt over stovetop on low heat. Be careful to not let chocolate burn.
- Spread chocolate topping over coconut bars. Top with chopped nuts if desired and place in the refrigerator or freezer to set.
- Once hardened, slice and eat!